Sunday, February 26, 2012

Put Your Pattern on Your Kindle

How to put a pattern on your Kindle so it's easy to read and what do I need on each page?

Here are my three pages I prepared for the Lana Sweater I've just made:

Three pages each one is pasted in separately

I downloaded the .pdf,
then "printed" to onenote.
then select all and ask it to copy to text.
then copy it into a new onenote page.
then set about into editing it into something I can use, different yarn and bigger size, for brushed (shrink when washed) cotton.
I tried making a .pdf directly from one note, but the margin and the font size was too small to read.

Next
After working out what I wanted to do - which is the three pages I've put above, I put each pages into Publisher - I made three pages - then enlarged each section to take up a whole page.
Then made a .pdf
then sent it to my kindle
which was lovely and here it is

One Kindle Page is one page in Publisher/Word no need to magnify

If you don't have publisher, you will need to do your pages in Word - I suggest font size 30+ so it's nice and big. Remember one page in Word/Publisher is one page on the Kindle screen. I do not want to fiddle about with enlarging half of it and missing something, and I want to be able to read it easily.

Next:

What does it all mean?
I try to get rid of all redundant information. I write what I understand and what I don't need is the "how tos" that are on the original pattern. I need to know what setting I need on the machine, how many stitches and rows and when to do something.. basically just that... I don't need words like Armhole Shaping, begin neck shaping - transfer stitches to main bed.

I use the row counter = RC000 to tell me that something has changed. I'm beginning a new something.
I'll run through my back notes :


Back
CO 100, 2:2 ind rib, means cast on 100  = R50, L50 - in Industrial ribbing, (11.11.11 etc on both beds) I only count the main bed not the ribber, if there are two T numbers, I'm doing ribbing and I don't care what the number of needles are on the ribber, there are two under each empty needle.
1R T R + R reminds me to change the dials 
90R T3.2 + 3.2, means after casting on, knit 90 rows with 3.2 on both stitch dials
RC000 - always tells me, something's changed and I will put the two ribber stitches onto the single empty needle. I always do this so I can leave out these words too.
T5.1: +1 ev 6R to 120 sts -> RC72.The single T #  tells me I'm on the main bed increasing 1 stitch each end every 6 rows to 120 sts, then knit straight to row counter 72.
RC000 - oh you know what this means!!!
-8sts next 2R, means I've started my armhole shaping and take off 8 stitches the next 2 rows
-1st ea end ev 2R x15 = 80sts means dec 1 sts each end every 2 rows to 80 sts
-> 78RC means knit straight to row counter 78
-9 sts next 4R (S/R) means using short row method, minus 9 sts each end for 4 rows
Take off and I always knit one complete row across all stitches before I do this but I don't need to say it cause I always do it.

There you are then, what I do for me, so when I'm at the machine, I know what setting to use on the machine and when to do what so I can make one of these, for instance:

Lana Sweater before it was washed


1 comment:

Laritza said...

Thanks for the instructions on the computer/tablet path. Brilliant and easy to do!