I've had a busy couple of weeks. I've finished the scarves and socks for the Jo from Knit for Tibet, there has been an earthquake and people have lost everything, so I said I'd put some things through the machine for her .. and she wanted scarves and socks. All done and posted back to her.
Next, I promised my friend Shelley that I'd make her wedding invites - phew, they are all done, I think there's about 110 of them, should have been 112 but two, umm, invites were harmed in the making of...
Next, some time ago we talked about me making her a shawl for her wedding, so I asked her if she still wanted one, yes she did, so .. straight away she chose the Japanese Feather and Fan, she tried mine on.. fiddled and chose the merino and silk lace yarn I had. Made a start on it, I decided to do a panel each day, easy when you start, and made it easy for me to do the invites. I'm going to have it finished by middle of August - say 15th. That gives me a fall back couple of weeks if the wheels fall off anything.
Just before all this, I started the Pewter Coat from IK Winter 08. I had just finished the Rambling Rose - a beautiful pattern, in two sizes, too small and too big. I had this big bag of Zoomy I got from the Mill shop last year, nowhere to put it of course, so I did the numbers and the small size worked out well with that really thick Zoomy. The lacy pattern really worked well in the thicker yarn, and the short row shoulder idea was fabulous! I ignored the instructions, really no point when the row count was hideously out. I did the turns on the yo, after I'd done the decreases.
Photo to come:
I'm also putting together my new machine table, from Ikea of course, it's a white laminated one, so I'll be able to attach the machine to it properly, this will be wonderful. It was just a bit wider that I thought, but will be just fine. I'm going to put some of my excess furniture in the garage so it's a comfortable fit.
Sooo... that's what I've been up to. Bin busy.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Well I've just made a sock on the SK860. I've made so many on the Passap. But. I have been given some 8ply (DK) wool - I think it's Cleckheaton Country 8ply - definitely a mill end/remnant from Wangaratta Mill. Looks a bit thick and I did a quick wrap around the only thing with inches I have - an old tape measure and was 10 wpi not 11, it will not be an easy knit on the Passap. So. Time to learn new things today.
Cast on 48 - T4/4. 16 rows, drop the ribber one click, then transferred to the ribber and knitted one row. I tried out using the garter bar on one side, and moving them on the next. I don't like using scrap knitting. Next time I'll take them off with the circ and put them back on again, though, the garter bar did work. It's just a bit big. If I think I'll make more, I'll invest in a set of decker combs from that fellow in Germany, they are by far the quickest. NEXT TRY: 48 is too wide (with this wool) so 40 or 44 will be better.
Next onto the circular knitting.
Setting: T5/7 - 50R (next do 60) apparently the ribber is two numbers higher than the main bed and looking at the finished sock, it's pretty close. BUT. Oh My Goodness... there is a plastic thingy - a D something something, that you have to slide over the ribber needles before you knit the ribber row every time. EVERY TIME! Reminder to self: It's quicker than knitting by hand... and ... annoying.
The short rows were easy enough, on the back/main bed. down to 8 and back worked out nicely. Dropping the ribber one click, changing the plate over and back, adding a weight to the heel, all easy.
circ to 80Rows worked out well. measured 15cm/6", moved weights, no problems
dec each end, each bed, next and every 4th row count (2nd row) to 12sts.
Take photo .. and before it gets too comfortable - undo the lot and remake with a few more rows before the heel and 4-8 less stitches.
Next one was great:
Cuff: CO 44, T3/3 16R, keep comb and weights on. Trans to ribber. reset. for ribber to knit 2 R T7, undo last quarter (11 sts).
drop bed about 2 clicks, move carriages to end, trans end quarters (11sts) to main bed with garter bar, making sure yarn thread is out of the way (wind it on the mast) Reset RC.
Leg: 69R COL,
Heel: drop ribber 1 click, change plates and settings for short rows down to 8 and back. Reset RC.
Foot: change plate and setting for circ, 80R
Toe: dec 1 sts each end, both beds every 2nd row (4RC) to 10 sts.
Graft toe, sew cuff.
Make another one.